Top 5 Causes of a Dallas Motorcycle Accident
Kay Van Wey
As the weather gets warmer, more motorcyclists undoubtedly will take to the roads. Unfortunately, with an increase in the number of motorcyclists on the roads, we’ll also see an increase in the number of motorcycle accidents in Dallas.
Even though motorcycle accidents don’t necessarily occur at a higher rate than other types of accidents, the consequences are often much worse because serious injuries or death are more likely to result from motorcycle wrecks.
In fact, recent data indicate that per mile travelled, motorcycle accidents lead to 35 times more deaths than car accidents. Being aware of the top causes of motorcycle accidents may help you reduce your risk of being involved in one. Here are the top five factors that cause motorcycle accidents in Dallas:
- Left-hand turns made by cars. This is the number one reason for accidents between cars and motorcycles, accounting for over 40 percent of such collisions.
- Lane splitting by motorcycles. Because car drivers usually don’t anticipate a motorcycle driving between them and the vehicle next to them (and because of the tight spaces between vehicles), lane splitting is a common cause of accidents.
- Speeding and alcohol use. Speeding or alcohol use is a factor in nearly half of the accidents involving a single motorcycle.
- Road hazards. Because of their small size, small tires, and instability issues, motorcycles are more susceptible to road hazards such as potholes, animals (dead or alive), uneven pavement, wet roads, etc.
- Driver distraction. When you ride, you cannot count on other drivers to be paying attention to the road. Often, drivers are texting or talking on cell phones. For this reason, use caution when passing other vehicles.
The next time you or a loved one heads out on a motorcycle, please be aware of the common threats riders face and use extra precaution to help reduce your risk of being involved in motorcycle accident. Remember, wearing the right gear can help protect you not only from the elements, but also from being injured in the event of an accident.
Free Information for Motorcycle Accident Victims in Texas
If you are a motorcyclist who has been injured in a motorcycle accident that was the fault of another driver, you likely have many questions about how to deal with the insurance companies and recover from your injuries. Motorcycle accident attorney Kay Van Wey has written a book, Ultimate Guide for Texas Motorcycle Accident Victims, which is available as a free download. If you still have questions after reading the book, you can call Van Wey Law at (214) 329-1350 for a free consultation with Ms. Van Wey regarding your legal options.
1 Comments to "Top 5 Causes of a Dallas Motorcycle Accident"
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Top 5 Causes of a Dallas Motorcycle Accident"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."