Kay Van Wey
As the weather gets warmer, more motorcyclists undoubtedly will take to the roads. But with the increase in riders, unfortunately, we’ll also see an increase in Dallas motorcycle accidents.
And even though motorcycle accidents don’t necessarily occur at a higher rate than other types of accidents, the consequences often are much worse because serious injuries or death are more likely to result from motorcycle wrecks.
In fact, recent data indicate that per mile travelled, motorcycle accidents lead to 35 times more deaths than car accidents. Being aware of the top causes of motorcycle accidents may help you reduce your risk of being involved in one. Here are some of the key factors that cause motorcycle accidents:
- Left-hand turns made by cars. This is the number one reason for accidents between cars and motorcycles, accounting for over 40 percent of such collisions.
- Lane splitting by motorcycles. Because car drivers usually don’t anticipate a motorcycle driving between them and the vehicle next to them (and because of the tight spaces between vehicles), lane splitting is a common cause of accidents.
- Speeding and alcohol use by the motorcyclist. Speeding or alcohol use is a factor in nearly half of the accidents involving a single motorcycle.
- Road hazards. Because of their small size, small tires and instability issues, motorcycles are more susceptible to road hazards such as potholes, animals (dead or alive), uneven pavement, wet roads, etc.
- Driver distraction. When you ride, you cannot count on other drivers to be paying attention to the road. Often, drivers are texting or talking on cell phones. For this reason, use caution when passing other vehicles.
The next time you or a loved one heads out on a motorcycle, please be aware of the common threats riders face and use extra precaution to help reduce your risk of being involved in a Dallas motorcycle accident. Remember, wearing the right gear can help protect you not only from the elements, but also from being injured in a Dallas motorcycle accident.
Unfortunately, not all motorcycle accidents are preventable, but you can still be prepared when an accident happens. I have written a book entitled the Ultimate Guide for Texas Motorcycle Accident Victims, which is available as a free download from www.vanweylaw.com.
If you are a motorcyclist who has been injured in a Dallas motorcycle accident because of the fault of another driver, you deserve to know your legal rights. Call our experienced Dallas motorcycle accident attorneys today at (214) 329-1350 or (800) 489-5082 for a free initial consultation.
1 Comments to "Top 5 Causes of a Dallas Motorcycle Accident"
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Top 5 Causes of a Dallas Motorcycle Accident"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."