Have you or a loved one been seriously injured due to an anesthesia error?
We are currently accepting certain cases where a patient suffered serious and even fatal injuries as a result of an anesthesia mistake. If you are in need of a Dallas anesthesia error lawyer, please contact us right away for a free consultation.
Thanks to developments in medical technology, anesthesia is relatively safe... for most people, most of the time.
However, there are situations in which anesthesia can result in catastrophe. These can usually be avoided, but when anesthesia mistakes happen they usually have severe or fatal consequences.
The Most Common Anesthesia Mistakes
During general anesthesia it is the anesthesiologist who has complete control over your breathing, your airway, and your circulation.
Most of the time, the anesthesiologist is mundanely watching the statistics of a stable patient. But, anesthesia related injuries and death do occur.
Some of the most common anesthesia mistakes which cause significant harm and death to patients are the following:
- Failure to conduct a proper and thorough pre-operative evaluation to identify a patient’s risk for anesthesia complications
- Attempting general anesthesia on a patient who is a high anesthesia risk in an out-patient or setting where proper monitoring equipment is not available,
- Performing an anesthesia procedure in an out-patient or office setting without a resuscitation team or with only a poorly trained resuscitation team available.
- Administering too much anesthesia or introducing it too quickly.
- Failure to properly monitor the patient intraoperatively in order to observe and react to trends that the patient is getting into trouble.
- Providing too high a concentration of oxygen via nasal cannula or mask thereby causing or contributing to a surgical fire. (link to surgical fires practice page for more info)
- Exposing a patient to the risks of general anesthesia when a less sedating and less risky form of anesthesia was appropriate.
The severity of anesthesia mistake consequences means that having an experienced personal injury attorney on your side is crucial.
What Types of Injuries Occur from Anesthesia Mistakes?
The types of injuries that can occur as a result of an anesthesia mistake are serious or fatal, including respiratory arrest, cardiac arrest, brain damage and death. Attorney Kay Van Wey has the experience necessary to understand the complexities of anesthesia error cases, and may be able to help.
In order for our team at Van Wey Law to determine whether an anesthesia error occurred and whether it was the cause of serious injury or death, we must first obtain a complete set of records including the record where the operation or procedure occurred and the anesthesia record.
In the event of a cardiovascular collapse, we would also review the records pertaining to the resuscitation. Our team wants to help figure out what went wrong if possible.
Hiring a Dallas Anesthesia Error Lawyer
The severity of anesthesia mistake consequences means that having an experienced personal injury attorney on your side is crucial. If you or a loved one believe you may have been the victim of an anesthesia error resulting in serious injury, contact the the team at Van Wey Law for a free consultation with an experienced Dallas anesthesia error lawyer.